Monday, December 17, 2012

The Monday After...

It is odd to me how we can all so easily slip into a comfortable routine.  An "unconcsious drive to work and don't know how you got there" routine.  A "groundhog day" routine.  A routine and a life that is taken for granted.

After drowning myself in a sea of blogs, pictures, new stories, conversations, thoughts and questions over the weekend about the Tragedy in Newtown, CT, I found that I looked at things a little differently today on my drive to school.

Of course I asked myself the usual questions when something so unbelievable takes place.  Even if this was deeper than those unbelievable things.  Yes, I felt lucky to be alive even though the victims could have been me.  The victims could have been the people I am very close to at this point in my life.  I felt guilty for not being those brave teachers.  I wondered if I would have acted in the same ways or if I would have frozen into silence as the time seemed to tick by, but soared at unrealistic speeds. 

Those were my initial thoughts.  Now, it was more simple.  I was  thankful.  I was thankful for seeing my students this morning. I was thankful for each student that came through the doors at BWF.  I was unbelieveably thankful to see my friends that I teach with and know that we did not have to say a word to know how we felt.  We did not have to say anything at all. 

I noticed that I was more patient with my students today.  I felt myself being genuinely interested in EVERYTHING they had to say.  I hugged every single one of them.  I did not say anything, but I could not help but want to be with them all day.  I did not want them out of my sight.  I wanted them all to know how much I cared for them and feel it without words.  I would love to tell you that this is how it is every single day, but there are days I am tired.  The students are tired.  Everyone makes less of an effort. 

I know that nobody wants to admit that a tragic event turned them in the right direction, but I can admit that today I am more thankful for the people in my life.  Sometimes we need to be brought back to life and to slow down a little bit.  This is a time to hug, talk and support everyone you come in contact with...you never know how someone is struggling.  You never know when/if you will see them again.  Love them ALL to the MOON and back because it is over before you know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment