Monday, December 17, 2012

Get to know Miss Kiser!


Get to know Miss Kiser!
 
 
Hello!  Welcome to my new BLOG!  A student just showed me her new blogging creation and inspired me to start my own.  My name is Katy Kiser and this is my seventh year as a teacher!  I startedmy career in Tallahassee, FL, where I am from originally and where my parents reside.  After my first two years of teaching fifth grade, I became adventurous and moved to a new home in Birmingham, AL.  I have now been teaching the PAGE Program (Program for Academically Gifted Education--should include creative too) for 5 years and I absolutely love it. 
 
I feel that since I have started in the Mountain Brook School System and my Masters at Alabama, I have grown so much in my abilities to help, understand and challenge my students.  The professional development and the support that is offerred in this system does not compare to any that I know.  EVERYONE works together to make sure that each child and teacher reaches their full potential. 
 
I have learned to be more patient.  I have learned to be more accepting.  I have learned to not take things so personally.  I have learned to be myself and to be a role model for my kids.
 
Each day is a new chapter with every single one of my students.  They are genuine, sweet, loving, brilliant, creative,  and motivated (aren't we all most of the time?). I find out what the true passions are of my students and we travel down an exciting path of research, problem solving, analyzing and creating.  We do whole group , small group and individual acitvities/projects.
 
I also work with almost every other student in the school by providing materials for enrichment, small groups or whole group instruction.  I do my best to get to know as many students as I can and be a teacher of all students and not just for PAGE.  I work with all 6th grade students on the BWF Broadcast and have two JUNA Teams (Junior United Nations Assembly). 
 
Some things you may not know about me...
  • I love to look at and create artwork (when I make it a priority).
  • I love to read, but I sometimes start so many books I get them confused!
  • I have crazy ideas and questions all the time!
  • I sing even though I do not have a pretty voice.
  • I did gymnastics and cheerleading for years and I loved it (pretty sure it stunted my growth though).
  • I am a huge Alabama fan!
  • I still cheer for FSU, but I can't help that I do love The Tide more.
  • I do not like mushrooms, pickles, anything too spicy, fishy or slimy.
  • I love anything involving sauces, dips, pasta, or salt and vinegar chips.
  • I love to cook (and eat), but I still need a lot of practice.
  • I wish I was an excellent photographer.
  • I want to travel all over the world.
  • I would love to learn new languages and discover information about my ancestors.
  • I wonder about how life would be different if certain events in history did not take place.
  • I love learning about different countries with my students during JUNA!
  • I love to learn about new types of technology with my students.
  • Siri is helping me organize my life one reminder at a time.
  • I wish I had more time to go fishing with my dad.
  • I wish I had more time to go shopping with my mom.
  • One of my favorite moments most recently was going to try on wedding dresses with my mom and my best friend.
  • I am lucky to have 9 wonderful friends in my bridal party!
  • I love candles, blankets, and lots of pictures in the home!
  • I wish I had a British accent.
  • I have a crazy cat named Roscoe.
  • I love my crazy, sweet and super smart fiance, Jack!
  • Jack works really well with all different people and has worked hard to get where he is with his company!  He loves all things sports!  Go Seahawks, Bama and Jazz!
  • My new last name will be Caughran on 6/28/13!
  • I love living in Homewood and teaching in Mountain Brook.
  • Our favorite place to vacation is probably New Orleans.
  • I have an amazing brother who went to Alabama, lives in Kentucky and works in Ohio as a Senior Data Analyst for a great company.
  • My mom taught for many years before becoming a principal and she inspired me to teach!
  • My dad flies an airplane, has his own business and is very creative, crafty and handy (and he has a cat that he loves a lot)!
  • They have been married for 36 years!  Incredible!
  •  


No comments:

Post a Comment